Prepare to become a nurse assistant in an acute care or convalescent hospital, or an aide in central service/supply, dietary, EKG, laboratory, pharmacy, physical therapy, cardiopulmonary, radiology or respiratory therapy. Internships will be assigned in the hospital.
| || |
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENTS (ESs)
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of industry standards for sanitation, safety, and procedures.
- Understand Title 22 and HIPPA regulations and guidelines regarding the rights of patients.
- Follow hospital safety rules; discuss the role of a nurse assistant in an emergency.
- Practice proper use of body mechanics and positioning techniques for patient comfort and safety.
- Practice standard to metric system conversions for weight, length and liquid volume.
- Demonstrate ability to bathe, dress, and perform personal hygiene tasks for patients.
- Demonstrate ability to collect specimens, tube a patient, apply dressings and make beds.
- Take temperature, pulse and respiration; take accurate blood pressure; document findings.
- Distinguish between types of diet therapies; serve and feed patients.
- Recognize signs and symptoms of distress; react and intervene appropriately.
- Demonstrate ability to care for patients with neurological disorders and aged residents.
- Assist patient with rehabilitative processes and with activities of daily living.
- Demonstrate effective patient care documentation.
- Discuss disinfection and sterilization, hazardous waste disposal, and standard precautions.
- Discuss stages of dying and related care; interaction with families; and post-mortem care.
- Observe, recognize and report abnormal signs and symptoms related to any patient.
Personal and Professional Skills
- Listen attentively, follow directions and effectively relay directions to others.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Demonstrate appropriate work ethics, demeanor, personal hygiene and grooming.
Career Planning Skills
- Research and establish education and career goals related to the medical nursing field
- Research employment opportunities; prepare a completed application for employment, and a resume.