Learn creative ways to use flowers for holidays, weddings, and other special occasions, beyond the basic skill level. Focus will be on identification, care, handling, and use of tropical and exotic flowers.
| || |
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENTS (ESs)
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of industry standards and career opportunities.
- Exhibit knowledge of the current trends in floral design.
- Identify and demonstrate proper and safe use of equipment and supplies.
- Identify foliage, potted plants, cut flowers, dried materials.
- Describe the fresh flower cycle.
- Create designs in the styles of European, Oriental, personal celebration, and holidays.
- Participate in a simulated bridal consultation; calculate estimates for time, personnel and supplies.
Personal and Professional Skills
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Analyze time, personnel and supplies needed in servicing a special occasion.
- Listen attentively, follow directions and effectively relay directions to others.
- Interpret information correctly.
- Dress appropriately as the industry demands; observe standards for personal hygiene and grooming.
Career Planning Skills
- Research career opportunities in the industry.
- Research and establish education and career goals related to the floral design industry.
- Research employment opportunities; prepare a portfolio of work samples, a completed application for employment, and a resume.
Previous employment in the field or completion of a basic floral design class is recommended before enrolling in this course.