Learn the basics of floral design, including principles and elements of color theory, tools of the trade, handling and flower identification and how to create basic arrangements.
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENTS (ESS)
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of industry standards.
- Demonstrate safe and proper handling of tools and equipment.
- Create a corsage, table-top arrangement, funeral piece, nosegay, holiday design and a balloon bouquet.
- Design a flower shop window display; decorate with potted plants, create baskets and planters.
- Discuss how the floral industry affects society; define its terminology; explain the care of products.
- Identify foliage, potted plants, flowers, and dried materials; describe the fresh flower life cycle.
- Price inventory, take phone and wire orders, practice customer service skills.
- Set up displays to increase sales; write a wedding estimate; price merchandise.
- Discuss solutions for delivering special arrangements of flowers; know how to get directions.
Personal and Professional Skills
- Demonstrate appropriate telephone etiquette and courtesy to customers.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Listen attentively, follow directions and effectively relay directions to others.
- Demonstrate appropriate work ethics and demeanor as demanded by the floral industry.
Career Planning Skills
- Research career opportunities in the floral design industry.
- Research and establish education and career goals related to the industry.
- Research employment opportunities; prepare a portfolio, including a resume; prepare for an interview.