Learn basic procedures used in the dental front office. Practice using various forms and procedures; and the oral and written communication skills necessary for employment.
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENTS (ESs)
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of industry standards; observe safety rules and regulations.
- Describe office organization, inventory storage, and housekeeping.
- Demonstrate an understanding of dental anatomy.
- Practice developing appointment book matrixes.
- Apply technology to organize and sequence treatment and payment plans.
- Complete forms for various types of coverage, from several insurance companies.
Personal and Professional Skills
- Practice interviewing patients to obtain important personal information.
- Make appropriate phone calls and apply etiquette in answering calls.
- Describe an efficient records management plan and protocol for processing mail.
- Explain procedures for sending statements to patients and for reconciling accounts.
- Demonstrate appropriate work ethics, demeanor, dress and grooming as required by the dental office.
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Listen attentively, follow directions and effectively relay directions to others.
Career Planning Skills
- Research career opportunities in the dental assisting field.
- Research and establish educational and career goals related to the industry.
- Research employment opportunities; prepare a resume; prepare for an interview.