Acquire skills in basic computer applications, electronic communications, information management, and document processing. Intern at local businesses to apply knowledge, enhance interpersonal skills, participate as team members, work with diverse populations, and exercise leadership.
EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDENTS (ESs)
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of industry standards.
- Build speed and accuracy; proofread documents; format business letters and envelopes.
- Demonstrate the use of a computer, copy machine, postage meter and FAX machine.
- Discuss the components of a computer, it's operating networks; utilize business software.
- Practice using diskettes, manage files, and process business documents.
- Use the telephone system appropriately; demonstrate business etiquette on the telephone.
- Practice accurate filing procedures, including electronic filing.
- Process mail, including electronic mail.
Personal and Professional Skills
- Practice appropriate telephone etiquette.
- Develop and maintain acceptable working relations.
- Dress appropriately according to industry standards as set by the workplace.
- Demonstrate leadership skills by working well with others, making appropriate decisions, working independently and accepting constructive criticism.
- Listen attentively, follow directions, and effectively relay directions to others.
Career Planning Skills
- Research career opportunities in the business industry.
- Research and establish educational and career goals related to the industry.
- Research employment opportunities; prepare a portfolio of work samples and a resume; and prepare for an interview.
Prerequisite: Keyboarding skill of 30wpm and basic skills in computer applications or instructor approval.